Historic Ships

D-Day Historic Ships

Maritime Survivors of the Normandy Landings

Standard Post with Image

Calshot

Now in desperate need of funding for restoration, Calshot was launched in 1929. On D-Day she was the headquarters ship for the Canadians at Juno Beach.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

Challenge

Built in 1931, the steam tug "Challenge" took part in Operation Dynamo at Dunkirk. After D-Day she towed parts of the Mulberry Harbour across the Channel.

Read More
HDML 1085 (now Shearwater)

HDML-1085

Prior to D-Day ML1085, now called Shearwater, conducted mine sweeping duties for the landing beaches. Afterwards she operated as escort and patrol craft.

Read More
HDML 1309 (now Morning Wings)

HDML-1309

Now called Morning Wings, ML1309 entered service in 1944. Serving with 149th ML Flotilla during Operation Neptune, she was sold by the Government in 1948.

Read More
HDML 1387 (now Medusa)

HDML-1387

Launched in 1943 ML1387, now called Medusa, was also part of the 149th ML Flotilla on D-Day, and served as a Channel Marker for Omaha Beach.

Read More
HDML 1392 (now Sarinda)

HDML-1392

Now called Sarina and almost unrecognisable, ML1392 entered service in 1943 and was also part of the 149th ML Flotilla. On D-Day she marked channels for Gold Beach.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

HMCS Haida (G-63)

Haida sank more enemy surface tonnage than any other Canadian warship during her career. In June 1944 she was part of the 10th Destroyer Flotilla.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

HMS Belfast (C35)

Permanently moored on the River Thames as a museum, HMS Belfast was one of the first ships to open fire on the Normandy coast on the morning of D-Day.

Read More
HMS Ryde (now PS Ryde)

HMS Ryde (now PS Ryde)

Only just qualifying as a survivor of D-Day, this paddle steamer is deteriorating rapidly on the bank of the Medina river on the Isle of Wight.

Read More
HSL 2561 (now a houseboat)

HSL 2561

Originally buitl in 1943, the sad remains of HSL 2561 now exist as a live-aboard houseboat at Hayling Island in Hampshire.

Read More
Hyperion

Hyperion

A Derby Winners Class Fast Launch built on the Isle of Wight, she was one of only two Fast Launches sailing with the advanced units of the D-Day invasion fleet.

Read More
LBK6

LBK-6

This floating kitchen served in Normandy with 35th Supply and Repair Flotilla. Now restored, she is the clubhouse for The Harwich and Dovercourt Sailing Club.

Read More
Jeakelard (now Gralian)

Jeakelard

Now called Gralian, this beautiful 45ft Medina Class motor boat was requisitioned by the Admiralty during the War for use as a patrol boat, remaining in service until 1946.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

LCA-888

Not just another landing craft, LCA-888 carried Colonel James E. Rudder onto the beach where he and his Rangers assaulted the famous German battery at Pointe du Hoc.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

LCT-7074

The last surviving Mk III tank landing craft, LCT7074 is currently undergoing restoration with the aim of being ready for display for the 75th Anniversary in 2019.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

LST-325

On her first trip across the Channel on D-Day LST-325 carried 59 vehicles, 31 officers and a total of 408 enlisted men to Omaha Beach. She is now a museum.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

LST-393

LST-393 arrived at Omaha Beach on the night of D-Day and off-loaded Sherman tanks and other equipment. She would eventually make around 30 trips to the Normandy coast.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

LST-510

On 1st June 1944 she embarked men and vehicles of the 29th Infantry, destined for Normandy. Now called Cape Henlopen, she has been used as a ferry since 1966.

Read More
LV-72 (JUNO)

LV-72 (JUNO)

Launched in 1903, Lightship 72 was used to mark safe passage to Juno Beach following the D-day landings. She remained on station until January 1945.

Read More
Major Elisha K. Henson (LT-5)

Major Elisha K. Henson (LT-5)

Tug LT-5 arrived in Normandy on D-Day +1 to work on contrsucting the Mulberry Harbours. She is now open May through September as part of the H. Lee White Museum.

Read More
Major Wilbury Fr. Browder (LT-4) (now Luddington)

Major Wilbur Fr. Browder (LT-4)

Now called "Luddington", LT-4 towed ammunition barges across the Channel after D-Day, and then moved along the coast to Cherbourg to assist operations at the port.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

MGB-81

MGB-81 was involved in supporting Operation Overlord between 6th and 30th June 1944, including an attack on German ships leaving Cherbourg.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

MTB-102

In 1944 MTB-102 carried Winston Churchill and General Eisenhower on their review of the ships assembled on the south coast in readiness for Operation Overlord.

Read More
Standard Post with Image

Seymour Castle

Now called "Devon Belle", Seymour Castle is another Dunkirk "Little Ship". Based at Folkestone she also assisted in towing operations for parts of the Mulberry Harbours.

Read More
Arthur M. Huddell

ss Arthur M. Huddell

Now called Hellas Liberty, this Liberty Ship carried pipe for the PLUTO project. Following extensive restoration she is now a museum in Piraeus harbour.

Read More
Jeremiah O'Brien

ss Jeremiah O'Brien

A Liberty ship which was in service two months after being laid down. She was part of the invasion fleet on 6th June 1944, and eventually made eleven Channel crossings.

Read More
USS Laffey (DD-724)

USS Laffey (DD-724)

Reaching England in May 1944, she arrived off Utah Beach at dawn on D-Day escorting tugs, landing craft and gunboats. She later took part in shore bombardment.

Read More
USS Texas (BB-35)

USS Texas (BB-35)

The last surviving World War I-era dreadnought battleship, she began bombarding Pointe-du-Hoc at 05:50hrs on the morning of D-Day, firing 255 14-inch shells in 34 minutes.

Read More
Ad