Ryes War Cemetery is located 8km east of Bayeux on the D87. It is actually slightly closer to the village of Bazenville than to Ryes. There is plenty of off-road parking but the road is narrow and turning round can be tight. The traffic along the road, whilst light, can move at some speed.
In addition to the 652 Commonwealth graves, there are 335 German and one Polish burial. At certain times of the year the field opposite the cemetery bursts with a poignant red blaze of poppies.
The cemetery was started on 8th June 1944, following the 50th (Northumbrian) Division landing on nearby Gold Beach on 6th June. A chaplain is buried here, as are two brothers whose graves are side-by-side. A number of well decorated soldiers are buried here, including two Distinguished Conduct Medals, five Military Medals and a Distinguished Service Order.