Located beside the D6 running south from Bayeux towards Tilly-sur-Suelles, the Jerusalem War Cemetery is just south of Chouain. The tiny cemetery has no parking but there are grass verges along the road. Be careful, as the road is lined on each side with a deep ditch. Other traffic also speeds along this road.
The area around the village of Chouain was the scene of bitter fighting when, shortly after the liberation of Bayeux, a German armoured column attempted to retake the town. Jerusalem was established in June 1944, and at the time nearby farm buildings were used by the RAMC as an advanced dressing station. As the fighting moved further south, the cemetery was no longer used.
The cemetery is one of the smallest Commonwealth war cemeteries, and is certainly the smallest in Normandy. There are just 47 graves including one which is unmarked, and another which belongs to a Czech soldier. Many of those buried here were killed in the fighting around Tilly-sur-Suelles and Lingevres.
Two army chaplains are buried at Jerusalem, both killed in July 1944. It is also the final resting place of Private J. Banks of the 8th Bn Durham Light Infantry. When he was killed on 21st July 1944 he was still just 16 years old.