The village of Fontenay-le-Pesnel lies 16 kilometres west of Caen on the D9 towards Caumont l'Evente. The Cemetery is just off the D139 one kilometre south-east of the hamlet of St Martin. Easily seen before the Cemetery itself is a large memorial to the 49th (West Riding) Division which sits opposite the entrance to the unpaved road that leads to the Cemetery. There is a small area for parking but limited space for turning. There are also some quite deep ditches beside the track.
Established after the capture of Fonteney-le-Pesnel, the Cemetery contains the graves of 460 Commonwealth soldiers. The men died in the fighting to the west and south-west of Caen in June-July 1944. There are particularly large numbers of graves of the South Staffordshire, East Lancashire, Royal Warwickshire Regiments, and the Durham Light Infantry.
The graves of 59 German war dead are also buried here, primarily with casualties from the 12th SS Panzer Division (Hitlerjugend).