St-Désir lies 4km to the west of Lisieux. The German Cemetery is about one kilometre west of the village and lies just off the D159 - located adjacent to the British Cemetery of the same name. There is a small tree-shaded area for parking immediately outside the cemetery entrance. These two cemeteries are the most easterly of the Normandy burial sites.
Between the German and British cemeteries is a meandering pathway which has a small memorial and flagpoles in the center, with British, French, German and EU colours flying. The contrast is styles between the two cemeteries is quite striking.
This is the smallest German cemetery in the Normandy region. Beneath the red sandstone crosses are the graves of 3,735 fallen German soldiers, many from the 15th Army, 7th Army and 5th Panzer Army. The majority of soldiers here were killed in the last days of the Battle of Normandy, during the German retreat towards the Seine in August 1944, and were buried by the British Graves Service. St-Désir is known for being the resting place for many of the newly discovered remains from the Normandy campaign.
The remains of German fighter ace Egon Mayer lay at St-Désir. Meyer was responsible for 102 kills during 353 missions over the western front, including 26 four-engined bombers, 51 Spitfires and 12 P47 Thundebolts. It was a P47 piloted by Lt. Walter Gresham of 358th Fighter Squadron which finally ended his reign of terror in March 1944 near Mont Médy.