The German cemetery at Orglandes is located around 7km west of Ste Mere Eglise on the D24 south of Valognes. There is dedicated off road parking for a number of vehicles, but the ground is cobbled so walking may be awkward for some. The entrance is marked by an attractive, church-like building with a bell-tower. There is no dedicated visitor center, however, once inside the cemetery a left turn and a short walk will take you to some toilettes if required.
The Cemetery was initially the resting place for both American and German soldiers. After the war 7,358 German and several thousand American war dead were buried at Orglandes. The American dead were reinterred at the Colleville-sur-Mer cemetery, and between 1958 and 1961 Orglandes was redeveloped by the Volksbund. Over time, other German war dead were moved here from smaller sites and there are now 10,152 graves at the site, arranged in 28 rows, each marked with a stone cross.
Block 27, row 13, grave 420/421 contains the inseperable remains of 22 soldiers. In October 1945, whilst prisoners of war, they lost their lives near Omaha Beach at Asnières-en-Bessin. It is suspected the men belonged to a mine-clearing unit and were killed in an accidental explosion.
The size of the cemetery at Orglandes is deceptive at first, but as visitors travel further from the entrance additional, previously unnoticed fields of graves become apparent. The headstones, it should be noted, are double-sided with most representing multiple burials.